Manavgat, a sweet town, 70 km distance with Antalya, placed in the middle of Antalya’s east region, east of Pamphylia plain, along the Manavgat river which divides Likya an Kilikia Region in the middle.
The magnificant canyon where Manavgat river meets with the sea, is close to Titreyengöl and Sorgun regions close to sea by 3 km, and in the middle of Ulualan Plain in the south of middle Taurus Mountains. Now, Manavgat Side, Canyon and Titreyengöl are ali forms almost a small city.
Manavgat town was one of the most important town during antiquity. İt was built in West of Mountainous Kilikia and East of Pamphylia. İn those times Manavgat name was Manauwa. This name was origined from mother Goddess temple elements. Mana-uwa, in Luwi language ( Luwi, public who lived in Hitit period, south of Anatolial meant public who worships mother goddess. Mana-uwa, A.D 7th century, was a port city with timber trade and mostiy gathering placeforArmenian and Rom priests.
Mana-uwa was popular with its grape, wines, forests and timber trade during antiquity. Tlmbers cut from the forests was shipped to Egypt and Jerusalem and used for buitding ships. Thats why in antiquity Mana-uwa was very active town.
Bridge between Cultures
Until 2ûth century, no bridge was built on Manavgat river. This can be explained by having an in importance on timber trade. The constmction of first bridge on Manavgat river had started in 1930 by Gemrıan Groof, and finished in 1932. Until this date, transportation was done by rafts.
During Ottoman Empire, on the east side of Manavgat river until Alara river Senir Sultanate, on the west side between Köprüçay Tugayoğlu Sultanate had existed During 12th and 13th century, along with Turks, Düşenbih Village had establisheçi.